When you write or work from home, most times, any chore outside of this work feels like a time suck. Unfortunately, some of us don’t have spouses, personal chefs or maids to help maintain house. If you don’t cook, you starve. Sure, you could order your food, but that comes with much higher costs, and sometimes, little control over what exactly you allow into your gut. Not to mention the health repercussions of sitting in front of the computer all day and eating takeout.
Getting up to make that quick, tasty and healthy meal provides you with that much-needed “break” and exercise.
After years of experimenting in the kitchen, I came to the realisation that you don’t have to slave off for hours to get a truly good meal. Sometimes thirty minutes is all it takes. And when I started writing from home, this idea moved from convenience to necessity. I like to keep my meals quick, easy, nutritious, affordable and accessible. I will be sharing some of my other recipes in later posts.
How to make the pizza
- Whole-wheat flour tortilla/ wrap.
Tip: Locally, these can be found at TM Pick n Pay. You can get them in small or large sizes.
- A medium-sized tomato.
- Half a small or medium-sized onion.
- Quarter of a green bell pepper.
- 1 garlic clove.
- About a 1cm piece of ginger, the thickness of your pinkie.
- Salt/ black pepper.
- Chilli powder or flakes.
- Mixed dried herbs.
- A quarter teaspoon of brown sugar.
- Roughly chop tomato, onion, green pepper, garlic and ginger.
- Puree in a blender, or use an immersion blender.
- Pour blended tomato sauce into a glass microwave safe dish (preferably with a lid to prevent too much evaporation).
- Crack in black pepper/ sprinkle salt to taste.
- Sprinkle chilli powder or flakes, and add sugar.
- Add about a tablespoon of vegetable oil and mix all the ingredients.
- Cook in the microwave for ten minutes.
You will need one of these bad boys to puree your tomato sauce. You can get one for around $50. But it’s well worth the investment. You will be able to puree cooked sauces in the pot and make smoothies.
Tip: If you currently don’t have one, no biggie. For your tomato sauce (deconstructed), halve cherry tomatoes, chop your onions/ green pepper, grate your garlic/ ginger, and place in an oven safe glass dish. Add the other tomato sauce ingredients and roast in the oven at about 230°C for 15 – 20 minutes.
Tip: Don’t be heavy-handed with the chilli powder, black pepper and herbs. If you don’t like assertive flavours/ heat, crack in black pepper instead of using powdered, use chilli flakes instead of powdered. I use Robertsons mixed or Italian herbs, which are combined in the right balance.
- 80 – 100g chicken breast or half and half chicken breast/ pork belly.
- Balsamic vinegar.
- Salt/ black pepper.
- Vegetable oil or extra virgin olive oil (if using chicken breast only).
- Cut your meat into small pieces.
- Marinade the meat in the balsamic vinegar, salt, black pepper and oil.
- Fry in a pan for about 10 – 15 minutes on medium high heat.
- About a thumb sized piece of cheddar.
- About a thumb sized piece of mozzarella.
- Grate the cheddar.
- Cut the mozzarella into slices.
- Place whole-wheat wrap on oven tray.
- Scoop and spread tomato sauce onto the wrap with a tablespoon.
- Distribute your meat on top of the whole-wheat wrap.
- Sprinkle both cheeses on top.
- Grill in the oven at around 230°C for 6 – 10 minutes.
If you do everything right, you should be eating pizza in less than an hour.